Saturday, January 4, 2014

In Christ- My Home


   Well, I have been in America for the past two and a half months spending time with family and fundraising for my ministry, and in just one week I will be headed back to Uganda. This is such a bittersweet time for me. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t wait to get back to Uganda- I can’t wait to get back to my boys- But there is also a part of me that aches at the thought of leaving my family in America yet again. Let me see if I can explain.

   For a while now I have been struggling with trying to find my home. If you were to ask me where I call home, I would answer without hesitation saying that Uganda is my home. This is where I have made my life, and more importantly, this is where God is calling me and where He has made my life. He has given me a family with the street boys and so many other people that I have been blessed to meet and get to know. When I was sitting at the airport in Uganda waiting for my flight to California, I was aching over the thought of having to leave this new family with whom God had blessed me.
Making memories with the kiddos!
    Now, I prepare to return to Uganda. I am leaving the family that has raised me and helped to make me the person I am today. It breaks my heart. I have three younger siblings that grow like weeds and I never know if I will even recognize them the next time I see them. I wonder if my parents’ eyeglass prescription will get a little stronger. I wonder if my sister will be pregnant with her second child, or if my new nephew will recognize me after I have been away for so long. I wonder if my dog is going to make it one more year. It hurts me to leave- this is my home, right?
My sweet 2 week-old nephew, Carter Alan.
   After living room conversations and Bible studies with my beloved family, I have come to the conclusion that I have no home; at least not an earthly one. Uganda is the place that I live most of the time, surrounded by the people I love. California is the place that I grew up and where my entire family lives.

   So, where is home? My home is in Christ. He is everything that I need. He is my provider, my comforter, my strength, my hope, my rest, my Father, and I can trust Him to remain faithful to me. What else do I need? Who else can provide everything that I need?

I live in Uganda. My family is in Uganda.

I live in America. My family is in America.

I live in Christ. He is my all.

This is the life that God has called me to.

Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post <3 People often ask me if it is difficult having you so far away. It is. But then I remember what you are doing and it makes it easier. There are no words to explain how I feel when I think of you and the work you are doing there. I am amazed, afraid and so very proud. And I can rest in Christ knowing that you are resting in Christ. Well done, my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the Almighty God reward you greatly for all your acts of mercy. I once heard of a retired missionary in Africa. She served in one of the remote and dark places in Africa. Upon her retirement she went back to the states, one day she took a vacation to Las Vegas and when she got out at midnight, the whole city was full of lights as if it was day light. The city was far better than the remote place she was serving in. She encouraged herself by saying that I know that heaven shines far beyond Las Vegas. Blessings in Jesus' Mighty name .

    ReplyDelete